Saturday, February 22, 2020

Adventures in Mesh Bodies, Part II: ADD, Don't Wear, Dammit!

Chey Once Again Manages to Detach Her Mesh Body

Okay, so call me a big dummy.

(GREEK CHORUS: "You big dummy!")

Back in the day, Avatar bodies had only a limited number of attachment points, and only one object could be attached to each. And so, we Second Life citizens would just click WEAR when we were dressing ourselves.

Now, of course, there are far more attachment points, and each can handle multiple attachments. If you have something attached to a point and attach something else using WEAR, the first object gets knocked off. If, however, you choose ADD, you can pile on the objects. And so, it's usually better to ADD than to WEAR, which, it occurs to me, is a statement few outside Second Life would even begin to understand.

When I first put on my Lara mesh body and began to make outfits, I would forget and hit WEAR. The results would be the disappearance of a hand, or my feet, or my entire body. Happily, I was usually (but not always) out of the view of others.

The Lara 5.0 body was released a week or so after I bought V. 4.1. This decreased the rate of my involuntary amputations, as the hands and feet, which must be individually worn in 4.1, are incorporated into 5.0.

I'm getting better at ADDING rather than WEARING, but occasionally I'll try to remove a bracelet or a pair of shoes and accidentally select the Lara body and detach it. When that happens, it's always a dammit moment.

No comments: