Monday, July 21, 2014

All Classes of Hobo


The other day Sweetie and I said hello to a zero-day-old resident. We told him he was welcome to explore Whimsy. He seemed like a nice fellow.

After a minute or two, I IMed him. I was just unable to continue to bite my tongue.

"Errr, I need to say this. You're welcome here, but if you spend any time in Second Life your name is likely to cause you trouble. I'm just sayin'."

That's because the first four letters were a dirty word. Let's just say, and I'm not suggesting it really was this, mind you, that he had chosen the name TurdNugget69.

He flew back to the landing and said, "It was just the first thing that popped into my mind."

Sweetie said, "Sorry, your name kind of says 'griefer'."

We told him that while he could use a display name, his name was permanent. We suggested he make another account now, before he spent money on his avatar. He was ready to do it, he said, but couldn't think of a name.

That was the wrong thing to say to Sweetie and myself. For sure.

We started gently.

"HandsomeGenteman113," I suggested.

"SillyButNice," Sweetie said.

I kicked it into high gear. "BanditoGonzales?" I ventured. Then, "This is fun. CactusNirvana?"

CactusNirvana really cracked Sweetie up.

"Frank 44?" I said. Bobogolightly?

"Pixel ALaMode," said Sweetie.

"SalamanderMancho," I said.

"I"m going to be be RichHobo," TurdNugget said.

Wait a minute! Did I just call him TurdNugget? Yes, it seems I did!

Ten minutes later he was back not as RichHobo (maybe that was taken), but FirstClassHobo. All was well and good.

It was the next night that things got strange.

Sweetie had dragged FirstClassHobo over to Whimsy Kaboom to give him a ride in her stunt plane. But then I saw him in his default avatar outfit.

"I thought you were going to give FirstClassHobo a ride in your stunt plane," I said.

"He is in my stunt plane," she said.

"No he's not," I said. "I'm watching him walk around on Whimsy."

Then I noticed my radar was showing two hobos: FirstClassHobo and SecondClassHobo.

An alt, I wondered. But he was too new to think of that.

Then I saw ThirdClassHobo on the radar.

Yes, not one, not two, but three class-rated hobos on our sim!


It turned out hobos two and three were his friends from real life. Mystery solved.

No comments: