Wednesday, July 22, 2009

There's Gold in Them Thar Sims!


Written 21 July, 2009

There’s Gold In Them Thar Sims!

I would never have believed it.

But I learned long ago, if Sweetie says it’s so, it’s so.

Still, I wanted to see it for myself, and so she took me.

When, long ago, Sweetie told me about the Second Life Mining Corporation, a place that sells equipment to find the gold hidden in the ground all around Second Life, I was incredulous. No one would fall for that, I told her.

But then one day my friend Bonneville Nightfire teleported me to a seashore where he was assisting two brand newbies. They had found a chest of “gold” hidden on the beach and were certain their fortunes were made.

It was just a two-prim chest with a gold coin texture on one face and there was nothing in the contents, but no matter how many times Bonne and I tried to tell them it was just a prop, we were totally unable to persuade the newbies it wasn’t real virtual gold. When I left, they were still gloating and congratulating one another.

Oh, to be young and stupid!

Well, young anyway.

This weekend Sweetie finally took me to the Fishii (so it wasn’t a rat I was smelling, but a fish!) sim, where she showed me Daffiyd Footman's Second Life Mining Corporation, where he sells, with all apparent sincerity, equipment to find and mine’s Second Life’s hidden gold.

Hello! Do you want earn L$? Why don't you dig for gold in the ground? This is not a joke! Gold can be everywhere, you only have to find and to dig it and you will earn L$! You will need a mining equipment and some probes to find gold.We have the equipment what you need to get started.Get one from the Equipment Vendor at the main store. It is worth it! This mining equipment will give you the ability to dig the gold off the ground in whole Second Life.

Damn! And all this time I assumed I had mineral rights to Whimsy! Excuse me, I’ll be right back. I need to consult my virtual attorney.

Of course, you have to not only buy this guy’s equipment; you must also buy self-exhausting supplies and bring the equipment back for “repair.”

So, the deal is you buy this guy’s equipment and go around Second Life, exhausting your supplies and damaging your drill bits as you search for the gold that is buried in the ground.

Sheesh! What a racket!

And I thought the Sion chickens were a scam!

3 comments:

Whatcha Eaton said...

When I was very new in the world, I once met a person who was standing all alone at the side of a hill. His selection beam (at least I think that's what it was in hindsite) was driving into the ground. Curious, I approached him and asked what he was doing. He told me he was mining for gold.

Knowing what I know now, I'd guess he was editing the terrain on his property, but I believed him at the time.

HomerTheBrave said...

There used to be a traffic-driving system that was a gold hunt. You pay something like L$250 for a gold nugget to hide in your store and then whoever touches it gets somewhere between L$5-10. It would last for three days, with a web site listing and I think an in-world HUD.

So people would come and find the gold and touch it and then leave.

Because really, that's the best way to spend your time on SL.

Anonymous said...

as they say...."one is born e'ry minute."