Tuesday, April 15, 2014

House on a Rock

First House on the Rock

Long ago Sweetie placed a ridiculously huge prim (in the form of a giant rock) on the border of Whimsy Kaboom and Mischief.

When the deed was done she pronounced it good, but then said, "No, wait!" and tilted it a bit. "Now it's finished," she said.

Awhile back I perched a little Japanese structure at the summit, which is on Mischief. It didn't matter that there was no discernible way up there. It's Second Life, after all. We can fly.

I took the house down after a while, but my sim neighbor Leaf Shermer must have liked it. The other day I noticed she had placed a Japanese tea house of her own in the same spot. Of course, I just had to tweak it.





The views are magnificent.


 Leaf's decorations are perfect.


I was a leeeetle concerned about the edifice overbalancing and plummeting to the ground...


... so I rigged a support beam and textured it to more or less match the teahouse.


Then I thought, uh-uh, it still looks precarious, and added a second beam.


Then the house felt about right-- it still seemed a bit scary, but it no longer defied the laws of physics.

Then I thought what a shame it was builder Aral Levitt of Bahia Tiki left the underside of the teahouse with a plywood texture. Builders, avatars cam EVERYWHERE! And sometimes they perch your houses on the tops of pointy peaks! Don't be lazy!

Then I thought, "I can fix that problem with one prim!" and deleted one of the two support posts. I rotated the remaining one and dragged it out like so...


The platform was much to deep on the right side, so I tapered it on two axes...


... and then changed to wood texture from wood to a more appropriate concrete.

Now the structure isn't threatening to fall down the face of the cliff...


... and the stairs, which had been hanging in space...


... now provide a space on which to land.


That's me in the background, just above, standing upon a temporary platform with my trusty texture organizer beside me.

The structure still looks good from a distance, it now looks stable, and the hateful plywood no longer shows.


It was a prim well spent.

No comments: