Thursday, February 4, 2010

The End of the World

Written 4 February, 2010

The End of the World

Last spring Sweetie and I had a wonderful time watching the cult science fiction television show Firefly.

I had seen the film Serenity, which, frankly, made little sense the first time around. When we finished the series we watched the film together; this time, knowing the backstory, it was more satisfying.

So I shouldn't have been surprised when Sweetie teleported me to a Second Life model of the spaceship Firefly.


(BTW, Firefly star Nathan Fillion is currently starring in the ABC TV show Castle).

It was a faithful recreation, and skillfully done, but walking through the ship was an exercise in claustrophobia. Our cameras were forever getting trapped. Staying in mouselook helped, but not that much.

I did get some interesting shots through the dome of the arboretum at the surface. It overlay a series of underwater tunnels leading to a submarine pen in which Carrah Rossini's beautiful Ananke "Nereide" flying submarine was docked. Left clicking it put me inside with no way out, as the hatch was closed and the ship wasn't set to public, but fortunately build was on. I used my Mystitool to go nonphysical and make my way back to the surface.


After I escaped from the sub we flew to the adjoining sim, Innsmouth.

Innsmouth was a typical New England village-- typical, that is, if H.P. Lovecraft's Chtulhu had visited. The entire town was sort of mouldered down as if everyone had walked away 50 years earlier. It was, as Sweetie said, like the end of the world.

It made for some fascinating photography. The post that follows features some of my shots of Innsmouth, and the one that follows that one consists of shots taken by Sweetie.

No comments: