Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The Dragon Awakes




The Dragon After Hour, Dakota Pole Dancing

Written 27 March, 2007

The Dragon Awakes

The minute I saw the Kumikorp P20 skybox, I knew I had have it.

The P20 is a 20 x 20 cube with glazed windows and wooden walls and floor—a big, empty box, inexpensive at about $250L And primficient, too, weighing in at less than 25 prims.

I thought it would make a swell nightclub.

And it has.

When I moved to Pele, I went shopping and filled the skybar, putting in a dance floor and spotlights, an oak bar stocked with every kind of alcohol (and fruit juices for nondrinkers), a piano, a jukebox (for changing radio stations), a big-ass rotating video array which no one ever notices because they don’t look up, and some couches for conversation. Outside, I made a marble platform (my second build in Second Life) that wrapped around two sides of the building. I put up a Dance sign and stuck in a dance ball and, in honor of the dragons which sometimes come to bathe in the lava at Pele, I named it the Dragon Skybar.

And the P20 had become a night club.

The Dragon sat empty for a while—in fact, I even took it down for a month or so when prims got tight.

Then I put it up again.

For Axel.

Axel had been spending his time at the trivia hut at East Beach, playing trivia. It’s a pleasant place, but the sound of the waterfall I made just next to it was distracting and the problems with camera control in a tight space made the hut less than ideal for trivia.

I left the trivia machine in the hut, but I stuck another in the Dragon, which I refurbished as Axel watched-- I hope in amazement, for it took only about twenty minutes to turn an empty cube into a fully functioning club.

And the Dragon was open for business at 550 meters.

Hooray!

For a long while nobody went there but Axel. Every once in a while I would pop up to say hi and kick his ass at trivia, and Sweetie would come by when she logged on.

And then for some reason the Dragon became a real night club.

I’ve thought about it, and there are a number of possible reasons for it.

Perhaps it was the table dance.

As I’ve noted in the Sweetie Gets XCite!d entry in this blog, my girlfriend and I went shopping and I came home with a table dance which I promptly installed in the Dragon. And of course just to test it, you understand, we gave the thing a tryout.

It worked just fine. Sweetie tipped me a thousand dollars.

-----

What made things change at the Dragon? I’m not really sure.

Perhaps it was the multicolored smoke and mist effects I installed on the dance floor. (I used Outy Banjo’s Fog Scripts).

Perhaps it was the dance poses (slow, salsa, tango).

Perhaps it was getting rid of the four-prim sofas and installing comfortable chairs (including one in which the sitter is forever falling asleep and shaking herself awake).

Perhaps it was because Axel killed the classical music and reggae and tuned the radio to a romantic 80s station (and let us pray to the heavens that internet radio doesn’t go away).

Perhaps it was because of the game machines (there’s now, in addition to trivia, tic-tac-toe, hangman, and a high-low gambling machine Aldo made and gave to me. I’ll be moving the Mahjong table from the Pele Gardens to the Skybar, too, and maybe buying a couple of poker machines).

Perhaps it was because Axel’s love for the place was infectious.

And perhaps it was because Dakota and Breath of God started dropping by.

Dakota, of course, promptly jumped on the dance table. She’s a boy magnet, so I hired her to do a shift on the table from time to time. It won’t even cost me any money, for she agreed to work for tips and free rent.

Sunday night at the Dragon was especially wonderful. It started with myself and Sweetie and Axel sitting around talking and ended up with a full bar and lots of dancing. I even had to go down to East Beach and borrow a dance so there would be enough for everybody.

At one point that night the Dragon held me, Sweetie, Axel, Dakota, Aldo Zond, the dragon Breath of God, my friends Dean and Davidnc, my new friend Milky Choche [isn't that a great name?!], Melissa Yeuxdoux, and Doug Streeter (Doug became a man who on the dance table once he realized he could make more money there than in camping chairs. Soon he was down to his tighty whities. Perhaps the funniest moment of the night was when Axel paid him for putting his clothes back on. I’m still laughing about that).

Dakota was having such a good time that she forgot her attitude and put on conventional hair and clothing. She is a strikingly beautiful woman when she wants to be, but I don’t think she fully comprehends that fact.

It’s funny how in Second Life you can throw up a building, stick some things in it, and it becomes a place. It becomes real.

The Dragon has, after months, suddenly become a real place.

And so I’ve been tweaking it. I dragged the piano out on the patio (Sweetie’s suggestion), pulled a dance floor out of inventory for the piano bar (a beautiful reef, with moving water and swimming fish), put in more smoke and mist effects, and dragged Aldo and Axel around as I shopped for dance pose balls. (I bought enough not only for the new dance floor, but for the East Beach platform as well).

I love the Dragon Skybar!

No comments: