Thursday, February 8, 2007

New Brother


Mordecai and His Creation, a Flyable Dragonfly

Written 6 February, 2007

New Brother

Since my early days in Second Life, I’ve been friends with Mordecai Scaggs. He has never failed to be courteous, charming, and genuinely interested in my well-being without ever, ever being forward. And he is, of course, in thrall to my also-very-good friend Melissa Yeuxdoux. He’s the real deal.

When I confided in Mordecai that I was enamored of Sweetie but reluctant to approach her, he gently set the stage with her. “Love in Second Life takes many forms,” he said to her in a tone ridded with hidden meaning. It mystified her at the time, but after we were born as a couple, she understood what he had been saying.

Whenever I’ve had difficulties in SL—and I’ve had my share—Mordecai has been there. And not only in IMs, either. He has been quick to invite me to his place or to teleport to mine so he can give me a warm, brotherly hug. It’s quite comfortable to get a hug when you’re in distress, and even more comfortable when you know there is no sexual intent.

When Mordecai read my blog “Sweetie’s Seducer,” he was beside himself. He teleported me to him and offered to tear the limbs from Martin’s avatar. It was sweet, but of course I told him that would be inappropriate. Amusing, but inappropriate. He was a great comfort that day.

When Mordecai logged on after reading my blogs about Saturday’s breakup with Sweetie, I was sitting on a meditation mat 120 meters in the air atop the memorial tower I had built to Sweetie, saying mantras and waiting for her to appear on the grid so I could offer myself to her. He came right over and promptly fell all the way to the ground.

When he didn’t fly right back up, I looked down and saw him sprawled on the sand, lying on his face. He wasn’t rising.

I flew right down and asked if he was okay. I’d never seen an avatar fall without jumping right back up, and I was more than a little worried.

But he was only stuck in a sitting pose.

Soon Mordecai was as good as new. We sat on Sweetie's reflecting fountain, talking first in chat and then via Skype about our respective loves, pleasures, and pains. It was soothing to talk with a kindred spirit and soon I was, if not feeling quite myself, at least not weeping.

Thanks, M. I couldn’t have gotten through it without you.

-----

For some time, Mordecai has been big brother to Sorcha, a charming young lady who is as enamored of her sweetie as Mordecai and I are of ours.

Right now, alas, Sorcha is ensconced on Mordecai’s land in her Airstream trailer, as she broke up with her sweetie, K. My heart goes out to her.

I in no way wanted to dilute the special relationship Mordecai and Sorcha have, but it was clear that Mordecai was acting in the same capacity with me—and truth to tell, I needed a big brother to whom to turn when the days grew dark.

To my delight, Mordecai said yes.

I now have family in Second Life!

Thanks, Mordecai! And thanks, Sorcha, for sharing!

2 comments:

Aimee said...

Welcome to the family Chey : )
Mordecai is a dear brother as I'm sure you know. I don't know what I'd do without him. He can be tad over-protective at times but it comes from his love for his sisters. I'm glad he was there for you when you were going through your painful time. And I'm also happy that you and Sweetie have gotten back together and I wish you all the best.
Love Sorcha

Mordecai Scaggs said...

Sister mine, you make me blush with your kind words! I was most honoured that you asked this old fool to be your brother, there was never any question of my not accepting. You add so much to my life, I am very happy that I can be of assistance to you. What a lucky lad I am, to have the love of the three most lovely ladies on the grid!