Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Fine Chat with Kerry at Sony


Kerry's Workplace?

Written 10 August, 2010

A Fine Chat with Kerry at Sony


It is my considered opinion that corporations are the primary evil in the world today-- but if one Inc. ever had my admiration, it was Sony.

Why? Because back in the day, when my parents were watching a fuzzy green Walter Kronkite on their first color TV, Sony was producing vibrantly-colored, crystal-clear images on their Trinitron television sets.

I bought one of those early Trinitrons for $299 at Radio Shack, and it performed admirably. Twenty years later, it still had a razor-sharp picture.

The Sony of today is a far cry from the Sony of yesterday, and that fact was brought home forcibly when I went to their corporate website for information on my VAIO desktop computer.

I was pleased but skeptical to learn I was entitled to 15 minutes of free support in live chat. My skepticism was well-founded.

Here's a partial transcript of my frustrating conversation with someone or something-- I rather think someTHING-- named Kerry in live chat.

Soooo, read the transcript and please let me know what you think. Was Kerry live, or was she Memorex?

-----

LiveAssist Transcript

chat id : 7dbe388a-5fab-43c9-a616-e63cc82cc649


Problem_ > The top drive-- not sure if it's the CD or DVD- of my VAIO desktop Model VGC-RB52 doesn't pop out when I push the button. I can hear it trying, but the door doesn't open. I want to disassemble the case so I can work on the CD or DVD drive and replace it if necessary, and would like to---

Your message has been truncated to 255 characters.

Cheyenne_> Hi there

Kerry_ > Welcome to Sony Online Support. I see by your Model # that your Computer is out of Warranty. Sony phone support cannot provide you with any free technical support, but Sony has provided a way for you to obtain 15 minutes of free chat support. We’ve been solving more than 50% of the issues during these free periods. If your particular issue is more complex and can’t be fully resolved by the end of the free 15 minutes, then you will have the option of paying to continue the Support session.

Cheyenne_ > I've removed left side of the case and drive bays but can't figure out how to get to the DVD/CD drives. It would seem the other part of the case (top + left side) would come off, as there are finger pulls, but removing the two screws at the back doesn't do it.

Kerry_ > Hi Cheyenne. I am Kerry. Please allow me a moment while I review your concern.

Cheyenne_ > Sure

Kerry_ > Thank you for waiting, Cheyenne. I am sorry that the CD/DVD Drive is not working as expected. I'll be glad to assist you with the concern.

Kerry_ > Could you please provide me your full name and Phone # so that we can arrange a call back if chat got disconnected? Thank you.

Cheyenne_ > Cheyenne Palisades, phone REDACTED.

Kerry_ > Thank you for confirming the contact details.

Kerry_ > When was the last time the CD/DVD Drive worked as expected?

Cheyenne_ > It's been a long time-- more than a year. I can hear the drive try to open when I push the button. It may just have a disk stuck in it, preventing the door from opening. I have the computer offline because the heat sink had to be cleaned and would like to fix this now-- repair or replace drive. By the way, is the top drive the DVD or the CD?

Kerry_ > Based on the information you have provided, it is required to get the unit examined by our technicians and serviced at the Sony Service Center to resolve the issue as it may be the issue with the Hardware. All the Hardware related issues are handled by our dedicated Technicians at our Service Center.You can locate the nearest Sony Authorized Service Center by calling the Service Assistance Team at 1-800-282-2848.

Cheyenne_ > Yeah. I can fix it myself. I just can't figure out how to get to the back side of the drives and just need a hint.

Kerry_ > Based on the information you have provided, it is required to get the unit examined by our technicians and serviced at the Sony Service Center to resolve the issue as it may be the issue with the Hardware. All the Hardware related issues are handled by our dedicated Technicians at our Service Center.You can locate the nearest Sony Authorized Service Center by calling the Service Assistance Team at 1-800-282-2848.

Cheyenne_ >It will be a cold day in **** before I take it in. You are about to force me to remove my computer from the SONY case and put it in another case. I really don't want to do that

Kerry_ > You can also contact any local Service Center to get the unit examined and to get your unit evaluated to resolve the issue.

Cheyenne_ > Will they give me the info I need to disassemble the case? Because I am soooo not taking it in. I don't need them to examine it. _I_ have examined it, and I pronounce it broken.

Kerry_ > Please refer to the user guide for more information to figure out how to get to the back side of the Drive.

Cheyenne_ > It's NOT IN THE USER GUIDE! It SHOULD be in the user guide. It OUGHT to be in the user guide. But it's NOT in the user guide.

Cheyenne_ > The guide tells how to remove the case side and the drive bays and how to put in more memory, and that's it. And that's exactly why we're talking now.

Kerry_ > All the Hardware related issues are handled by our dedicated Technicians at our Service Center.

Cheyenne_ > Will they talk to me? Do you think?

Kerry_ > Please contact our service center to get the Computer serviced as the issue is related to the Hardware of the Computer.

Cheyenne_ > I feel as if I'm taking to a wall, or more than likely, a bot. I am NOT getting the computer serviced. _I_ am servicing the computer. I need information. I'm asking if they will give me the info I need or just tell me to bring it in. Because it's not going in.

Kerry_ > In that case, I suggest that you contact our Customer Information Service Center at the following phone number: 1-239-768-7547 and will be happy to further assist you.

Kerry_ > Please contact one of our customer service representatives to discuss your concerns.

Cheyenne_ > Very well.

Kerry_ > It was a pleasure assisting you today. Good-bye and thank you for contacting Sony Online Support.

Kerry_ > Analyst has closed chat and left the room

Cheyenne_ > Attempts to make a pithy exit remark, but the chat wundow will no longer accept input.

No comments: