Saturday, November 26, 2011

Now You See Them, Now You Don't!

Notice the All-Prim Top Worn by the Avatar in Blue
Written 26 November, 2011

Now You See Them, Now You Don't!

(AAOOOGAAH! NUDE BREASTS BELOW THE FOLD)

I rarely wear revealing clothing in Second Life-- probably partially because despite a body that's far less than perfect, I've always worn exactly what I wanted in Real Life, and probably partially because I think more is sometimes less (in other words sometimes more clothing is sexier than little or no clothing).

Night before last I tracked Sweetie to a fancy dress show. She straightaway crashed, leaving me to stand and look around.

Straightaway, I noticed an avi with an all-prim top.

Now, all-prim tops are subject to disappearing because they don't rez properly or just haven't rezzed yet, so I was surprised when, after seeing her breasts covered, they suddenly popped out.




What? Had her top derezzed? No, most of it was there; only the part covering her breasts had disappeared. Was it mesh, which my viewer is not supposed to see? No, because I had seen it earlier.

When I next looked, her breasts were only partially uncovered.


I finally realized the most likely explanation was the prims covering her breasts were scripted to appear and disappear at random, or perhaps when cued.

Which begs the question why wasn't the damned thing turned off in public.

Don't you just know she had something to prove? Like, oh, I don't know, that she has no breasts in real life or if she does they're small or overly large or saggy? And that even if she has breasts and they're perfect, she would never dare to reveal them in public?

One of the reasons I like Second Life is that it allows people to express themselves in ways they cannot or dare not in real life. And yet when people are over the top vampires or sluts or she-males or slaves or would-be models, it just makes me feel sorry for them.

2 comments:

Melissa Yeuxdoux said...

I've seen what I suspect to be the cause. Alpha textures in some clients appear and disappear seemingly randomly as one changed one's camera angle relative to them. (Graphics settings influence the bug, of course; the times I've seen the bug were times when shadows (deferred rendering) were turned on.) Most recently, it shows up in Firestorm when one wears invisiprim shoes--move the POV to one's feet and then pan, and you'll see what you shouldn't see pop in and out of view.

The other fun part about tops for prim breasts is LOD--zoom out and, as the clothing layer recedes into the distance, holes will appear in the top.

I suspect that, were you to ask the lady about it, she'd either express surprise or would sigh and say she knew about the problem.

Melissa Yeuxdoux said...

/me blushes
That's what I get for posting late. Verb tense agreement is my friend!