Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sweetie Hates It When I Do That

Whimsy's New Rail Texture.
Standard Rail Texture for Kitto Flora's Trains
Written 23 January, 2010

Sweetie Hates It When I Do That

For some reason I cannot understand, Sweetie is forever accusing me of shrinking her.

True, my real-life training and occupation has long been applied behavior analysis-- the modification of human behavior-- but I would never EVER use my superpowers to manipulate her.

Well, hardly ever.

Sometimes I can't help myself.

For a long time now I've been working on new textures for the train line here at Whimsy. I purchased a great set of textures from Starship Jefferson and was able to apply them to make straight track, but curves-- specifically, the texture that goes on the top of the curved track-- has eluded me. Starship's set has nothing even close.

I tried to modify Starship's track with GIMP, but just couldn't seem to make it happen.

I even read Chapter 2 in the manual.

I went so far as to fabricate a section of curved track with prims, laying down the bed and placing rail and ties and even putting in the spikes. It looked great (and should have at 255 prims), but taking a snapshot, saving it to disk, cropping the result, and then importing it just resulted in a  fuzzy texture.

This evening I was telling Sweetie of my difficulties; she said that while she admired my nerdishness in wasting all those prims, my explanations were making her head hurt. So I sent her a few texture files JUST so she could see what I was doing.

I had NO IDEA she would spend the next three hours making the texture I needed. Really. I just wanted her to get an idea of how things stood. I had NO CLUE sending those files would get her brain ticking and send her off to GIMPworld until way past midnight.

Despite what Sweetie says, I wasn't shrinking her. I was just... sharing.


Sweetie Somehow Made a Texture for the Curves...
But Not Because I Was Shrinking Her!

No comments: