Sunday, November 28, 2010

Bing 'em, Danno

Not Your Father's
Steve McGarrett
Written 28 November, 2010

Bing 'Em, Danno

ZenRascal wrote, in a recent comment to this recent post:

"... stand back as she reels off ridiculous ideas."
"... I imagine they'll involve slingshots, robots, and exploding lipsticks."
Chey, you (and sweetie) are a riot! Seems like just yesterday you were searching high & low for a mysterious dunking bird. And now this!!! LOLOLOL How do you do it? How do you keep cranking out all this wacky stuff?? LOL Whimsy indeed!!!!
Zen, Sweetie and I were ridiculously flattered by your comment. Thanks for having a sense of humor that appreciates our sense of humor.

You must understand-- we can't HELP making up this stuff. We try to stop. We need an intervention!

Take, for instance, tonight. We had returned home after visiting friends. We were eating soup made from leftover turkey and a margherita pizza while we watched the new Hawaii Five-0 on my laptop.

At some point I stopped the stream.

"I can't help myself," I said.

The 5-0 team had just egregiously mishandled evidence in a murder case-- picking it up without gloves and dumping trash from a vacuum cleaner on it to get a print.

So I sang (to the tune of the theme song, of course, and as best I can remember   the words):

We're Five-0 policemen
One girl and three guys
We do our own lab work
Don't need no CSI
We make it all up
As we stumble along
It's TV so it's
Okay if it's wrong
We're just actors
Messing up our liiiiiines

Which caused Sweetie to sing about Dano's relationship with his ex-wife:

She lived in New Jersey
Married to a cop
Now she's in Hawaii
And she loves to shop
She's got a fancy house with a gate
When Danno visits
She likes making him wait
She is British
She had a bad divoooorce

Before I could start again, Sweetie sang another verse:

There is product placement
In nearly every scene
I drive a brand new Chevy
And wear Levi jeans
My cell phone
Is in every scene
My searches
Are done always in Bing
Because Google
Was a dollar shoooort



Every few minutes one of us would have to pause the show to add another verse:

My name is McGarrett
I am a macho man
I like to pick on Danno
Just because I can
I take my shirt off
My tattoo to reveal
He's haole
And I am a Seal
Dad was murdered
I'm an angry maaaan

And so it went until the show was over. We were hemorrhaging verse, and laughing our asses off, and we absolutely couldn't stop. The damn song is STILL stuck in my head.

Now, the new Five-0 is so ridiculous it lends itself to parody, but anything, really, can set us off.

So it's not that we have trouble coming up with absurdities. It's more about not being able to help ourselves.

1 comment:

ZenRascal said...

Chey wrote: "Zen, Sweetie and I were ridiculously flattered by your comment. Thanks for having a sense of humor that appreciates our sense of humor."

"You must understand-- we can't HELP making up this stuff. We try to stop. We need an intervention!"
,,,,,

"So it's not that we have trouble coming up with absurdities. It's more about not being able to help ourselves."

Listen, I *do* understand about suffering from chronic giggly wackiness, where it takes work to keep what you say & do within sane & sensible bounds (when the world requires that). I'm the same way!!! It's so often a gift of creative people.

I can't tell you how delighted I am by your reaction, you & Sweetie! Serendipity at its finest! A blog-reader (me) with a certain peculiar sense of humor encounters a blog-writer (you) also with a peculiar sense of humor and the whole thing jives, the wavelengths mesh, ... all that good stuff that only happens every so often. A truly happy accident of circumstance.

But I'm so happy we're taking notice in this way. I don't write a blog but I read a few. However, it's only rarely that I post a comment. And even when I do, it's very seldom that the comment is acknowledged more than a cursory "thanx."

Chey, I've been reading your blog regularly for a while. I also read a number of other SL blog writers (I get the impression that a lot of you know each other). It's very interesting to read your interpretations of your inworld experiences. You, especially, have been writing up a storm of late!

I'm as tickled as I can be at how we've connected this way. Of course, a number of people must read your posts but without posted remarks it's hard to know who or how many. And likewise, for me, I let you know I was enjoying your blog and look what happened: A whole blog post directed to me!!

Happy, happy, happy. That's what this time is now!! Tomorrow's another day.