Friday, March 13, 2020

Adventures in Mesh Bodies, Part VI: Shoe Rehab


With the BOM mystery solved, I've been busy working through all my old outfits. Every single one has broken shoes, thanks to the Linden's errr, derendering of Invisiprims. I fix the shoes, make sure I'm wearing my Mystitool and Mystitool Implant, change accessories and hair (if I feel like it), and, if the outfit moves me, I make a Bakes on Mesh version for my Lara body.

Fixing the old shoes involves finding or making an alpha that covers just the part of the foot that needs to be hidden. Too little, and flesh pokes through your shoes here and there. Too much, and parts of your foot are invisible, making holes in your avatar.

You can make alphas, but it's hit and miss to get them just right, and it can get expensive at $10L per upload. In the past you could go to the beta grid and upload for free until you got things right, but according to someone I just spoke to, nowadays that requires some sort of special dispensation from the Lindens.

I've been running into the miss part of hit and miss in my attempts to make alphas--in other words, I can't quite nail them-- but I've been able to rehab about three-quarters of my large collection of vintage shoes by in some cases using alphas that came with other shoes and in other cases the free alphas distributed by Imnotgoing Sideways. By trying different alphas, I've been able to make most of my Imelda Marcos-sized shoe inventory workable again.

You can pick up Imnotgoing Sideways' alphas at this SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Ferguson/65/250/91


No comments: